I have recently started to do more business miles in my Volvo S60, (2013 model) and whilst I find that the inbuilt satellite navigation system general very good, it does not have some of the POI’s (Points Of Interest) that I need e.g.. UK Speed Camera locations. Having read through the provided documentation, it only mentions importing .GPX files … which from my investigations, it turns out that this is the GPS Exchange Format (a lightweight XML based file format). It also seems that it’s a standard supported file format by many satellite navigation devices, especially those from Garmin.
I have downloaded and attempted to import a few .GPX files into the Volvo S60’s satellite navigation, but all have failed 😦 After much experimentation, I have found that the following process works every time :-
- Download and install the POI Loader software from the Garmin website (Apple Mac users can get a copy from the App Store)
- Download the required POI file in .CSV format from the GPS Pocket World site
- Using the Garmin POI Loader software, import the .CSV file and create a new .GPI file
- Using the converter from the GPS Data Team website, import the .GPI file and save as a .GPX (selecting the GPXx option)
- Copy the .GPX file to a USB Stick, then use this to import into the Volvo satellite navigation
I would welcome any feedback, comments on this process – especially if it can be shorter. Connect with me via Twitter or by leaving comments on this post.
Image supplied by OpenClipart.org, all copyrights etc observed